Saturday, December 4, 2010

British Books Challenge 2011

Hosted by Becky at The Bookette.

I originally said I wasn't going to sign up for any challenges (excepting the E-Book Challenge because I have so many netgalley books and an e-reader is my number one wish for Christmas) but it's so hard so I'm signing up for another one!
So what is the British Books Challenge?
The BBC is a reading challenge where bloggers sign up to read books by British writers throughout 2011.


The books can be in print or out. Old or new titles. They can be from any genre and for any age. My blog is obviously focused on YA and children's literature but you are welcome to read adult novels if you wish.

There are two entry categories for the challenge:

Home Grown
This is for British bloggers who have access to many British books via their public libraries, fit-to-bursting bookshelves at home etc. The target is to read 12 novels. Thanks to The Story Siren for creating a formula with the Debut Author Challenge that really works - one British book a month should be easy peasy!

International Friend
For any wonderful bloggers living overseas who wish to support British writers.
You can choose to between:
Winston Churchill - Read 6 books by British authors in 2011
The Royal Family - Read 12 books by British authors in 2011

There will also be the chance to earn yourselves a Crown if you manage to read 50 books by British writers in the year.
As an American, I will be an "International Friend" and I'm going for the Royal Family although I would love to win a crown so I will try for 50 if I can.  Sidenote: who's excited for the wedding? I have already blocked out my calendar for that day and will be in front of the TV the whole time (no matter how early it starts since I'm on the West Coast and thus 8 hours behind.) 
 
Anyway I'm really excited for the challenge!
 
Preliminary List:
1. At least one book by Charles Dickens
2. At least 12 Agatha Christies (This overlaps with my personal challenge to read all of them)
3. Possession by AS Byatt
4. Passion by Jude Morgan
5. Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
6. Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
7. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
8. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold by John le Carre
9. The Quiet American by Graham Greene
10. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
 

4 comments:

  1. Yay, you are doing this challenge as well, this is great! And I see we both chose a Jude Morgan book to read. Great minds....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm embarrassed to say I have 4 of those books on my shelf waiting to be read, and they've been waiting there a long time. Still, I'd better not sign up for this challenge because I've already signed up for two challenges. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Cold Comfort Farm before? It's one of my favorites, if you haven't read it yet I hope you enjoy it along with the rest of the books you read for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you want to read a Charles Dickens. It doesn't get any more British than that! Thank you so much for signing up to the challenge. I hope you enjoy it and I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...