Monday, October 11, 2010

Thirteen at Dinner

Thirteen at Dinner or Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie
Avenel Books, 1933
126 pages
Mystery; Hercule Poirot
4/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: Jane Wilkinson, Lady Edgware, comes to Hercule Poirot for his assistance in obtaining a divorce, even if it means that she might have to kill her husband-jk!  Except that soon after, her husband is found dead and she is implicated.  Includes members of the acting profession, people with money problems, and those violently in love.

Thoughts: First this was my 200th book of the year!  I finished it back in September but I'm really far ahead on my reviews so you're just finding out about it now.  Second I read this as part of a collection with four other Christies so that is not the cover I had.

Now on to the story!  Hastings returns and I feel like Poirot is less rude to him than usual although Poirot is till very stuck-up and self-satisfied.  It is hard to feel sad that Lord Edgware is dead as Lady Edgware seems such a jolly if frivolous lady who can now marry the man she really loves.  Additionally it seems like Lord Edgware terrorized his daughter who is now out from under his thumb.  That is not to excuse the murder but Christie does like to kill off the bad people, especially when the murderer seems like such a good person (this is a general observation, not a comment on the murderer of this book).

I had no idea who the murderer was.  I thought s/he had an airtight alibi and was thus eliminated.  Interestingly the murderer is quite unrepentant as s/he saw murder as the only solution for his/her happiness.  It was quite fortunate that Poirot got that last snippet of information that sealed the solution for him.

Overall: Fun story although I liked the murderer too much.

Cover: I quite like: the program, wig, and glasses are apt.

2 comments:

  1. This seems like Christie in good shape. I will definitely consider this book once I decide to start reading her novels. hehe, it's so frustrating when you realise you really like the killer. Cool review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only version of Sanditon I've read has been one completed by Marie Dobbs: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/166177.Sanditon. While no one writes like Austen, you probably won't be able to tell exactly where Austen leaves off and Dobbs picks up! There is one event that occurs that I found too unbelievable/ridiculous for Austen to ever have written, and some of the characters may be a bit more caricatured than Austen would have desired (we'll never know, lol) but besides that it's actually quite a fun story and the hero in it is very appealing (he teases, a bit like Tilney!) :D In fact, I really like both the hero and heroine and the way their relationship develops.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...