Thursday, October 14, 2010

Death on the Nile

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Avenel Books, 1937
164 pages
Mystery; Hercule Poirot
4.5/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: A fabulously wealthy, young bride named Linnet is murdered on a boat while on her honeymoon.  The top suspect would be her former best friend who was first engaged to Linnet's husband but she has a clearcut alibi.  Luckily Hercule Poirot is on the case!

Thoughts: I knew this was one of Christie's more famous works so I had pretty high expectations.  The opening reminded me somewhat of other famous ones like Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None as it gives a brief vignette of all of the characters who will be part of the story.

The victim is a rather awful girl, Linnet, who stole her best friend's fiance and is consequently being stalked by that best friend on her honeymoon.  Linnet has always gotten everything she's wanted and is thus very displeased at having that best friend stalking her on her honeymoon.  However this friend Jacqueline sucks too and I couldn't understand Poirot's kindness to her.

Besides solving the murder, he also accounts for two other criminals yet Poriot seems to be sentimental and lets the one off to possible romantic bliss.  There are some other subplots too but the murder is the main focus.

I did not like the end although I somewhat puzzled out the murderer!  But really I did not like the end which has a bit of the Murder on the Orient Express to it (hopefully this makes sense if you've read both. I don't want to spoil it-let's just say I like using the court system for justice.)

Overall: An outstanding story from Christie with exciting characters although I personally do not like the end.

Cover: This is not the cover I had but of course I had to show the Black Dog & Leventhal edition because I love them so much!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! What a premise - a girl murdered on her honeymoon. Sounds so sad, but then again, she was horrible, so it's actually logical too. 4.5 stars? I want to read this Christie, with a sentimental Poirot at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this story. AC is always great. Just watched Murder she Wrote and that too was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...