Monday, November 22, 2010

Seeds of Turmoil

Seeds of Turmoil by Bryant Wright
Thomas Nelson, 2010
173 pages
Non-fiction; Christian
3/5 stars

Source: Received for review via Booksneeze

Summary: Wright argues a. that the roots of the conflict in the Middle East are inevitable and b. in favor of Israel.

Thoughts: I requested to review this because I don't know much about this conflict and I wanted to see a Christian perspective.  Now this certainly has a lot of Scripture references; in fact it tells the story of Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar repeatedly in the first part.  That is where the conflict comes from.  Abraham and Sarah were supposed to have a child who would be the covenant child from God (Isaac).  Instead he sins with Hagar, fathering Ishmael the father of Muslims and planting the seeds of conflict.

He also argues that God promised the land of Israel (and actually even more territory) to the Jewish people making it theirs and that all Bible-believing Christians should support Israel.  I feel like I don't know enough about this to decide where I stand but that was at least somewhat convincing.

Overall: Too repetitive and not fully tied together in a cohesive convincing way.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting perspective, but I think this conflict is so complex that just one perspective - Christian, in this case - is not enough. That conflict has a lot to do with history and politics and frankly, I don't think it's necessarily in Israel's favour. Sometimes I doubt the conflict will ever be resolved.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...