Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
W.W. Norton & Company, Inc, 2003
Originally published 1847
258 pages
Classic; "Love" story

Summary: The classic tale of Cathy and Heathcliff on the wild moors.

Thoughts: I read this as part of the Brontë challenge and also because I had never read it before. It was a struggle to finish it but I am finally done (and just in time because it is due at the library soon!)

When I first tried to read this, I had difficulty with the framing device used. It starts with a tenant meeting Heathcliff and then is told from the perspective of a gossipy servant who watched all that happened. I suppose I prefer a more traditional method of telling a story.

The other big problem I have is that none of the characters are likeable. They are all awful people who seem to enjoy hurting others, being accommodating to spoiled brats, being spoiled brats, being selfish, etc. Why would anyone choose to write a story about people with basically no redeeming qualities? I've never met anybody that awful and fiction ought to have some basis in reality.

The biggest problem I have is with Heathcliff. Anybody who finds him romantic has either watched film versions too much or has some serious psychological problems because he is a character I find almost pure evil. His legitimate grudges (toward Earnshaw, Linton, and Cathy) are pursued needlessly against the second generation so that almost every page features the reverberations of a selfish, cruel person who cares naught for anyone or anything beyond himself. I cannot see any love in his heart even as he professes it for Cathy (And I do not like that everyone keeps having the same name.)

Also what's up with the moors? I'm not sure this covers everything I hated about this book but it will have to suffice.

Overall: 1 out of 5. Simply awful.

Also a cute cartoon about the Brontë sisters.

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed this review of yours. Wow, I've never read a WH review that pronounced the book to be simply awful. Very refreshing, since it seems to be every third person's favourite book.;) I gave it 4 out of 5 stars myself, but I see your point. It's not easy to like this novel at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...