Thursday, May 27, 2010

Girls Gone Wise

Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild by Mary A Kassian
Moody Publishers, 2010
350 pages
Christian; Inspirational

Source: I signed up for NetGalley and this was the first book I received! So I read it on my computer through Adobe Digital Editions.

Summary: Examining today's culture, Kassian challenges the prevailing notion of womanhood offering up a Biblical viewpoint and challenging the reader to bring herself more in line with God's Word.

Thoughts: I didn't know anything about this book when I was browsing Netgalley but I thought it could be interesting so I requested it and started reading it. It took me longer than I thought because a. I was reading it on my computer because I don't have an e-reader and b. I also did the interactive worksheets, which got me deeper into the text but also slowed me down (more on that later).

The guidepost for this book is Proverbs 7 which outlines the kind of women we should not aspire to be like. There are twenty points of contrast such as speech, clothing, and attitude where the "wild woman" is described in comparison to a "wise woman" using a mix of Biblical verses and modern examples.

The worksheets were very helpful (they can be downloaded at the website) and I received a lot from them. They challenged me in the areas where I lack and affirmed me in the areas where I've had success.

I thought Kassian was a bit harsh on the feminist movement and was also somewhat homophobic although that is not a large part. For me, those were outweighed by the interaction of the worksheets and the engaging writing style.

Overall: 4 out 5. I am thinking of recommending this to some of my friends who like to read.

Cover: I like the colors-unfortunately the version I read was all black and white so no pretty colors :-(

Other: If you would like more information, check out the website, which has a lot of cool resources.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be an interesting book, for sure. I like your review. Oh, on my blog, there's an award for you.;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...