Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Resenting the Hero

Resenting the Hero by Moira J Moore
Ace Books, 2006
285 pages
Fantasy
1st in Series

Summary: Dunleavy or Lee has been training to be a Shield her whole life. All she wants is to be bonded with a nice reliable Source. Instead she gets Lord Shintaro Karish (Taro), the Stallion of Triple S. They are assigned to the most high profile area in the land where an inexplicable disaster strikes down all of the other Pairs. Lee and Taro must work together to

Thoughts: I was really excited about this; I'd seen good reviews and I liked the covers of the series (yes, I judge books by their covers-so do you probably!) I mostly liked the characters and there was a fair bit of humor. I enjoyed the world created by Moore and I was interested in the mystery behind this. Karish is a Source which means he can channel the tremendous forces such as earthquakes and tornadoes which afflict the world and Lee is a Shield which means she protects him from dying as he does that. I definitely see potential for this story to grow and develop in the next books. But overall it just seemed really choppy, like characters would change from chapter to chapter and tone inexplicably shifted. This definitely hurt my enjoyment of the story.

Lee was a little annoying admittedly; she carries enormous guilt for something that is not her fault and she is awfully prejudiced toward Taro. Taro is very charming and I liked seeing his efforts to prove himself as an ordinary Source rather than as a Lord. Their interactions together were my favorite part.

There is a mystery here-what is up with that force that strikes down all of the other pairs? But it is weird, is the best way I can describe it. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but that was definitely the part I had the most trouble with.

Overall: 3.5/5. While I was disappointed, I still plan to try to read the rest of the series as soon as I can get them.

Cover: Cute. I don't feel it accurately portrays the plot of the novel although it is relevant, if that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...