Monday, February 14, 2011

Emma and Mr. Knightley

So I don't really like Valentine's Day because it's not a real holiday (do we still have school/work and do we still get mail? Then it's not a holiday; a notable exception being Easter.) But it is an opportunity to celebrate love stories and while I could choose any Austen couple that I like, Emma and Mr. Knightley have a special place in my heart.

Now that's not to say that I'd want to marry Mr. Knightley if he treated me like he treated Emma and the whole age difference thing is kind of gross.  I appreciate being corrected but I could see his method being annoying.  Regardless, I still swoon over him because he's so perfectly perfect for Emma.  He cares about her so much and unlike a certain other Austen hero coughdarcycough he really is a perfect gentleman, conversing with anyone (even a farmer like Robert Martin) and treating everybody without an ounce of condescension.  The only person he does not like is Frank Churchill because of jealousy and then the fear that he might have hurt Emma (totally legit reasons) and he is still able to be civil.

I know that some people don't like Emma and that's fine because I adore her plenty and I love reading about her and seeing the different adaptations of her story.

Who's your favorite Austen couple and favorite literary couple if *gasp* an Austen couple is not your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Jane Austen must be mentioned on Valentine's Day, even though I don't celebrate it either.

    I agree with you. Knightley is perfect for Emma and she is perfect for him, so I really love them as a couple. I also love Emma! I don't understand why people don't like her; she's such a perfectly humanly flawed heroine. I'd love to meet Emma.

    My favourite Austen couple? Catherine Morland and Henry Tielney from Northanger Abbey. I really feel that they suit each other perfectly. It's harder to say which is my fave literary couple in general. I can say that I am very fond of Gerry and Holly Kennedy from P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's a good question. I just read 3 Jane Austen's books (actually I'm reading the 3th right now, Emma), and it's difficult to decide between Elenor Dashwood and Edward Ferrars, Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy and Emma Woodhouse and Mr. Knightley. They are perfect. But I think I'm in love with Emma and Mr. Knightley, because in their case we can see their defects, they can see them, and they recognize it like something that put them together. Ohhh, it's just perfect. I want a Knightley for me, please!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...