Tuesday, December 22, 2009

As You Wish

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

Summary: Viola and Lawrence have been best friends and now a couple for a year. But when he comes out, necessitating their break-up, she feels broken. She spends her time wishing to feel fixed and accidentally summons a genie who will grant her three wishes. Things get complicated as they fall in love.

This book is told in alternating points of view as Viola struggles to make her wishes and Jinn as he comes to be known undergoes a transformation from disinterested genie to reciprocating Viola's love. But I didn't really like either of them. Viola was so lame, as she harped on how broken she felt. I get that it sucks to have your heart broken especially when it's by your only friend and I know that she's only a teenager and can't necessarily be expected to stay true to herself (as she abandons her art for a boy). Jinn was a genie, who didn't really have a personality at first (as they are there to serve the humans) and he changes as he falls in love with her but he's still pretty boring.

I did like the maturation of their romantic feelings. I didn't really like either of them but I enjoyed seeing how they expressed how their feelings changed. Jinn describes Viola as very different from his other masters and I also liked his descriptions of what genies do when they're not on earth. I also liked Viola's best friend Lawrence who is a really good friend and has an interesting dynamic with Jinn. Jinn's relationship with someone from the genie world is also good but I was less interested in the romantic (and primary) relationship than in any others.

The cover model reminds me of someone I know who isn't at all like Viola.

Overall: 3.5/5-just okay.

Tomorrow-something special from my childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...