Sunday, June 3, 2012

Reading and Reviewing Rut Update

While I had optimistically thought I was out of my ruts, it seems that I am still struggling a bit. For example, although I have read 4 out of the 6 books I have planned for review this week, I have reviewed not one of them. I have the templates made up with the basic information but I have not felt motivated to set down in front of my computer and attempt to craft some words.

And I suspect that I will need a lot of time as lately my reviews have nearly doubled in length. Just for fun, I like to paste my reviews in a word counter (I like http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/countwords.shtml) and the latest ones have often reached 550/600 words in comparison to my usual goal of 300 words. I worry about that because I know that I am more likely to skim long reviews but it also makes me happy that I have so much to say and I don't want to stifle my creative spirit.

Meanwhile my reading rut has some easily identifiable causes: I just read two books for review that were really not to my taste. I rated one 2 stars and the other 3 stars (reviews to come later this month). I had really high expectations for the 2 star one so that is incredibly disappointing to me. Happily I am planning to finish the latest Elizabeth Boyle today (Along Came a Duke) and will be reading the highly recommended Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo as well (see Mimi Valentine's review). I am hoping this will reignite my love and help me start the week strong. I am hoping to read 26 books this month after all.

In personal news, I got bangs! I had them when I was young but started growing them out seven years ago. Lately I have been craving a change in my hair and while I keep touching them and brushing them off my face, I really love the way I look with them.

I also goofed and forgot to mention that I guest-blogged for Jenny at Into the Morning Reads this week (we "met" when she designed my beautiful blog); I shared what fictional character I would set my sister (who I am now dubbing Fashionista1732) up with. I think a lot of you will be jealous...check it out here!

How are your reading weeks going? How long does it usually take you to write a review? Do you have bangs (or have you had bangs)?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely get reviewing ruts more than I get reading ones. Like you, I get the basic template all set up then... nothing. And I find that the more I've loved a book, or the more complex it is (and the more I have to say), the harder it is to motivate myself to sit down and put everything into words. So rest assured, you're not alone!

    P.S. Hooray for rocking those bangs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Ruts happen. Sometimes more than I would like. I've got my template saved and so I just fill in the blanks for my reviews. Usually I end up writing a number of the reviews at a time....I've started to write things down, to remember to talk about in my review, as I'm reading the books - so it makes it a little easier if I don't get to it right away.

    As for bangs, had them when I was little and tried them again at 20-something...and quickly went back to no-bangs. I like the look - on other people. Just doesn't work for me. Hope you are enjoying your new look!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have bangs, my hair is too poofy.

    It usually takes me maybe 20 mins to write a review.

    Hope you get out of your rut soon.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...