Monday, September 12, 2011

The Demon's Surrender

The Demon's Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan
Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2011
387 pages
YA; Paranormal
3/5 stars

Source: Library

Although I didn't love either The Demon's Lexicon or The Demon's Covenant, I have enjoyed many of Sarah Rees Brennan's blogposts and thus wanted to try the third book. Based on the cover, I had expected it to be told from Alan's point of view but I was mistaken and it is actually told from Sin's.

That's kind of a weird decision because she's always been on the periphery of the story. As Alan, Nick, Mae, and Jamie moved between the mortal world and the Goblin Market, Sin seemed firmly connected to it and thus not in the best position to convey all of the information that the reader wants to know.  Admittedly I had hoped for Alan, who is indisposed for part of the book, so my disappointment may color that assessment.

This book also has Sin explaining what I feel is the main reason for my inability to connect with this series when she states that she doesn't really get demons and magicians and their whole world. Although I've had plenty of exposure to that world throughout the three books, it never came to life, never threatened me, never dug deep into my skin and made me care. I think part of this is due to the limited third-person narration; first-person is more immediate and thrilling for me to read (in general).

The other main part I didn't like was the climax and all of the terrible actions therein; Sin encapsulates the finale with the statement that "It had been worth the cost. But it was such a cost" (375).  I have to disagree; I feel that the solution to their problem with magicians and their lust for power was a very poor one and will bring great future harm to the Market. Fighting for that solution would not leave me gratified or optimistic about the future.

Overall: A lackluster conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...