Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan
Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2009
322 pages
YA; Paranormal
1st in series
3.5/5 stars

Source: Bought

Summary: Alan and Nick are brothers and Nick would do anything to protect Alan.  So when Jamie and Mae show up, the former with demon marks and the latter similarly protective of her brother, Nick wants them gone.  But Alan reaches out to the confused and scared siblings and now Nick has new complications in his life.

Thoughts: I had a lot of trouble with this review so I put it aside to come back to after I read the second book.  Part of my problem was expectations; having read some of Brennan's blog posts, I thought this would be a really funny book.  Obviously I wasn't looking closely at the cover as this is rather dark and not very funny.

I liked some of the characters some of the time but not as much as I wanted to.  Nick and Alan obviously have deep dark secrets that are only mostly revealed at the end.  I loved their relationship because while I am a sucker for sister stories, brothers are less common but still almost enjoyable and Nick is fiercely loyal to Alan.

I'm not sure about the universe of demons and magicians created so I will reserve judgment.  There is also a lot of fighting which is not my thing but is pretty much advertised on the cover so don't be surprised.

Overall: Not what I was expecting but I am planning to read the second and see where Brennan takes me.

Cover: Dark but the angle at which he is holding the sword seems really awkward.

1 comment:

  1. This definitely looks and sounds like a dark book, seeing how demons are involved. I haven't read about demons yet, and currently I'm into vampires and angels as far as supernatural creatures go. Still, The Demon's Lexicon does sound appealing. If I see it in my library, I'll borrow it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...