Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week of 08JAN12 and Commenting Systems

I want to start by talking about Commenting Systems. I just have the standard blogger commenting. But I've been commenting on several blogs that use Intense Debate and I really like it, especially the ability to leave a link to a person's most recent post. I think that's great, unobtrusive advertising. So my question is twofold:
1. Have you changed your commenting system on blogger to Intense Debate or something else? How was the process? Do you have a preference for when you comment?
2. Is there a way to add the link back to the current blogger commenting system?

Moving on...this was a pretty good reading week for me; I'm almost through my ninth book and I've already had a 5-star book (Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?-review coming at the end of the month). This week is all YA-with three 2012 releases, two 2011, and one older book. I'm not sure how many books I'll be reading this week as my evening commitments resume but I will enjoy what I can.

I also saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, a movie I had been highly anticipating through the month of December. I heard amazing things about Gary Oldman's performance and have great admiration for the rest of the cast too (Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Tom Hardy, William Hurt, and Toby Jones). What could go wrong?

Well, after the action-packed M:I4 the quietness of this movie didn't work for me. There was walking and silence and I honestly almost fell asleep (In hindsight, we probably should have left and gotten a refund to see M:I4 again). Plus since I'm so familiar with the actors, I had trouble keeping track of their character names; I just called them by their real name. So overall I cannot recommend this movie although lots of other people have enjoyed so don't go by just my thoughts.


3 comments:

  1. I have the standard blogger commenting system too! It seems to be working for me so I don't think I've ever thought about changing it, although that might have to do with the fact that I don't really know how to either LOL! x) But still, I really don't think I have a preference, although I DO like the same features that Intense Debate has that you like! I think it really helps bloggers to find each others blogs easier! :)

    And I'm glad you're having a good reading week, B -- I always love those too! :) I haven't heard of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy before (love the name though haha!), but thanks so much for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my ups and downs with intensedebate and ultimately had to switch. The problem is you'll never own your comments again. And if you don't like it, you'll lose them all unless you switch to a different system. I regret that I ever left the blogger comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried out Intense Debate for a little while, but I switched back to Blogger. I liked that ID allowed people to subscribe for an email alert and that I could reply directly to their posts (though Blogger, finally, lets us do that now!).

    The reasons I removed it were these:

    It's glitchy, which means it doesn't always work and because it's third party, you have no control over the glitches. Half the time you won't even know when someone is having a problem because it will throw a fit for only certain configurations. For example, I used to be able to click on a post straight from my feed reader to open the post and comment. But, all of a sudden ID threw a fit and now I can't do that anymore. If I try, ID won't work. I have to now open the link, remove the feed reader part of the url, refresh the page, and THEN I can comment. Very, very annoying. It significantly reduced the amount of comments I leave on blogs that have ID now because I don't often have the time do play around with that. Plus, it took a little why just to track down what exactly was the problem. Until I figured it out, I couldn't leave any comments on those blogs. Now it's just a waiting game until the next glitch comes around.

    I also didn't like that a lot of people's avatars didn't show up. I'm a visual person, so I like being able to connect a name to a picture.

    The third reason is the same as what Alexis says. Your comments aren't hosted on your blog anymore, so if you ever decide to get rid of ID (or switch platforms?) you'll lose all of those comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...