Sunday, January 1, 2012

Week of 01JAN12

For the new year, I'm trying to not post a review every day as that made me rather stressed in certain parts of 2011.  Thus I am instead planning to do a wrap-up post or personal info or whatever I feel like on Sundays.

First we have the end of regular season football, something I am not sorry to see go after the pathetic performance by my Eagles for much of the season. I have no interest in any of the teams advancing to the playoffs so I will now turn my attention to hockey where the Flyers seem to be doing okay but it's still early.


Next let's talk movies! I saw Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol and, despite a long standing indifference/antipathy to Tom Cruise, thought it was amazing! Of course it was directed by Brad Bird (The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille), produced by JJ Abrams, starring Simon Pegg, and with music composed by Michael Giacchino (the last three all involved in my beloved reboot of Star Trek). Basically it was just a great action movie with thrilling stunts; I wish I could have seen it in IMAX as I bet that would have been awesome!

I also saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, which was not as good as M:I4 or the first film in my opinion although still enjoyable. I'm a big fan of the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law and I also really loved the music (some parts made me think of POTC, which unsurprisingly has the same composer).

I still haven't seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo despite my enjoyment of the books because I'm really freaked out by the level of violence that will be portrayed. It was awful in the books but at least I could skim that. I will consider watching it on DVD but I'm not sure I will be able to stomach it.

For the rest of the week, I have a few YA debuts (yes, already!) as well as a romance review scheduled. I am also lucky enough to have tomorrow off from work and am hoping to hit Barnes & Noble to spend some gift cards. I have a few ideas but any recs you want to throw out there would be appreciated. How is your week looking?

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to see Sherlock Holmes, though I've heard a lot of mixed things about it. Some liked it better, some didn't. Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see Sherlock Holmes but can't afford to yet! I'm trying to post reviews as much as possible, but if I miss a day I'm not going to stress about it. xD

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I've been really wanting to see New Year's Eve, I saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie this past weekend and enjoyed it! I actually felt it was better than the first one, and I'm especially looking forward to the third one now. And woah, Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol looks great as well! I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...