Friday, December 14, 2012

Some thoughts on The Hobbit

So I did not go to a midnight showing and have not in fact seen the film yet but I did read the book...a good twelve years ago. It is also my birthday so I'm feeling celebratory and a bit lazy-this will not be a very long post.

  • The part I'm most excited about in the film is Bilbo and Gollum's riddle-off. I only read The Hobbit once but I read that section over and over again. I'm pretty sure it will be in this film (or at least I sure hope so!)
  • I'm really not sure about having this book as a film trilogy-I tend to prefer shorter films and these sound like they will have so much padding. What do you think?
  • I am very excited for Martin Freeman (see above as Bilbo) and Richard Armitage (as Thorin, the main dwarf), both of whom I've been a fan for some years now (starting with "Love Actually" and "North and South" respectively but through other projects as well). Hope to see more of them in other films going forward!
I'm not entirely sure when I'll be seeing the film as my theater has way more films in 3D which is a HUGE pain for those of us who wear glasses-wearing a second pair of glasses over your regular glasses is very unpleasant, doubly unpleasant for an almost three-hour film. And honestly I'm more excited about my Manchester United game tomorrow-soccer can be really fun.

Anyway happy Friday everyone-I'll be back tomorrow with a review and then Sunday with a post for Jane Austen's birthday. Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I hope you will have a fantastic day no matter how you spend it.

    I might go and see The Hobbit today or on Sunday. I have the day off so I need to do important things like laundry first :)

    I'm currently debating over whether I want to see the film in 3D or not. At first I was definitely going to see it in 3D but now I'm not so sure. When I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 in 3D, I thought the 3D distracted from the story. When I saw The Amazing Spider-Man, it added to the story. I guess it depends on the story itself?

    I've now read The Hobbit twice and the first time I read it, I didn't like it as much but now I appreciate it more. I do believe the Gollum scene will be in this first film (according to critics' reviews anyway). I think the movie must stop before they get to the mountain since the second movie is subtitled The Desolation of Smaug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday!!
    I have never read the Hobbit -- can you believe it? And, yeah, I'm not such a fan of 3-D. They charge way more and I don't think the movie is any better that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have wanted to go to the midnight showing on the 12th but could not bf to come along as he had to get up to work 3 hours after it ended ;)

    So I watched it on Thursday and oh the scenery, the music, :D It was good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reread the Hobbit in preparation for the movie and was surprised at how brief the action scenes are. Feels a bit anti-climactic at times, now that I'm reading it as an adult. But that allows the movie to expand and fill in the gaps nicely.

    I hate 3D movies too! Very annoying to bespectacled people ha
    I saw the 2D movie today and though it was a bit too long for my taste, I liked it a lot. Martin Freeman is a perfect Bilbo and Richard Armitage was a pretty convincing Thorin. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...