Friday, July 9, 2010

Fairy Tale Connection


Friday is for Fairytales is a meme hosted by Irena at This Miss Loves to Read. Every Friday, you can choose a fairytale you love, or simply find interesting or haunting, and review it or simply say why you like it so much, or why it has captured your attention. Instead of a fairytale, you can choose a favourite fairytale character and describe him/her and tell us why you like them, or you can simply share an experience connected to a fairytale. Fairytales can be old and modern, written by a known author or anonymous, written down or passed on orally, short or in novel form (like re-writings of fairytales), international or typical for your country alone. In this case, present your country’s fairytale and we can all become acquainted with a new fairytale. So, make a post every Friday that is connected to the world of fairytales, be it a review, a character description or your own fairytale experience. Let’s celebrate fairytales and share our love for them.


I wanted to start with something simple, for example my favorite fairy tale of all time which is Cinderella. Now my favorite Disney princess is not Cinderella so this picture is slightly deceptive but the Brothers Grimm version is one of my favorite tales. I think that is in large part due to my mom who also loved the story and read it to me many times. As I grew older, I read several translations of it but my mom's original remained my favorite. My favorite part is the birds calling to the prince that he has the wrong bride; this is important in translation because of the four or five I've read, they are all different. To the best of my memory (because I don't have my mom's copy), the version goes:

Prithee, look back
Prithee, look back
There's blood on the track
The slipper's too small
The true bride awaits you, home at her hall!

and then

Prithee, look back
Prithee, look back
No blood on the track
The shoe's not too small
You carry the true bride home to your hall

I know it's a pretty small thing but it's something I always noticed.

In future Fairy Tale Fridays, I'm planning to look at my favorite retellings of Cinderella as well as share my other favorite Grimm stories, some of which I'm sure are not at all well known.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, this is a grea post! I love Cinderella too and I love what you write about it. I'm looking forward to discovering who your favourite fairy-tale princess is!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...