Thursday, August 2, 2012

Darth Paper Strikes Back

Darth Paper Strikes Back by Tom Angleberger
4.5/5 stars
Amulet Books, 2011
163 pages
Middle-Grade Contemporary Humor

Source: Picked up for review from library.

After loving the hilarious antics of the kids in The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, I knew I'd be picking up this sequel. How could I resist another Star Wars tinged, epistolary middle-grade humorous novel? Only someone made of much sterner stuff could do so!

The book dives right in to the story, forcing me to remember the characters and their relationships. Honestly I had forgotten main character Tommy's name and there were a few other relationships I had to think about. Luckily I soon got back in the swing of things and sped through the book. This new book introduces a new character, Darth Paper, created by Harvey who serves as an antagonist to Dwight and his Origami Yoda, leading to Dwight being threatened with expulsion from their public school. He would get sent to a reform school with the really bad kids.

Of course Tommy and his classmates do not want that to happen. Although they still think Dwight is a weird kid, his advice in the first book and onwards has been immensely helpful to them time and time again even when they don't always understand it. This is proven over and over again. Fortunately Origami Yoda seems to know all and the ending is happily resolved.

This book also features two origami projects: an emergency 5-fold Origami Yoda as well as the titular Darth Paper. Additionally there is also the introduction of a Star Wars game within the book, giving readers multiple projects to embark upon after finishing reading.

Overall: We have a very funny novel told in alternating perspectives by the different students as they work together to prevent Dwight's fate.

Cover: Works perfectly with the previous book and signals the dark side, which seems to prevail for much of the book.

4 comments:

  1. Hilarious cover & book title! I love it. I could use some fun books right now! Adding it to the tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to read this -- huge Star Wars fan.
    Darth Paper and Origami Yoda????

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series looks so cute and the covers are adorable! Great review.
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read these books but they look so cute! I just saw the new one about the Fortune Wookie at Barnes and Noble today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...