Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: Grandmaster


Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine


For 2014, I wanted to try posting some more memes so I'm planning to participate in at least a few WoWs a month, continuing with today's pick:

Grandmaster by David Klass
Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Releases February 25, 2014
Freshman Daniel Pratzer gets a chance to prove himself when the chess team invites him and his father to a weekend-long parent-child tournament. Daniel, thinking that his father is a novice, can’t understand why his teammates want so badly for them to participate. Then he finds out the truth: as a teen, his father was one of the most promising young players in America, but the pressures of the game pushed him too far, and he had to give up chess to save his own life and sanity. Now, thirty years later, Mr. Pratzer returns to the game to face down an old competitor and the same dark demons that lurk in the corners of a mind stretched by the demands of the game. Daniel was looking for acceptance—but the secrets he uncovers about his father will force him to make some surprising moves himself, in Grandmaster by David Klass.
I'm a big fan of YA contemporary stories and I think chess is fascinating to read about though I don't much like playing the game myself. I have a copy downloaded through Netgalley so will post a review closer to that date. Have you heard of this one? Is it something you'd want to read?

 

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I've heard this one, but I've just added it to my to-read list :D Gotta go find it on NetGalley and request :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not heard of this before; and don't think it would be for me (A) but it does sound interesting :D So I hope you will end up loving it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about this one until now! My brother loves chess, so I guess I'm going to read this one to know if I can understand him better! :)
    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one - it does sound interesting, though. I'd like to see how a story with that plot would pan out. Great pick, girly! I hope that you like it when you get a chance to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is new to me and it does sounds like a good one. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh. I like the sound of this book! I haven't read many father/son stories, and I agree, chess is fascinating though I can't play very well. Great choice, and welcome to Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds kind of good. I look forward to your review to help me decide if I want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...