Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ramblings and the Week to Come 19JAN14

Ramblings:
One week back at work and it is getting crazy! This is our busiest time and it seems that every time I think I might have a second to rest, something else is popping up. However that's pretty much how I like it. It actually kind of sucks that we have tomorrow off as I know my department would put it to good use. But it also means some more reading time so that's good!

Movies:
I had the chance to see "American Hustle" yesterday which I was incredibly excited about seeing because I enjoyed the director's "Silver Linings Playbook" so much. Well this one did not live up to my expectations at all. I thought it was pretty boring except for Jennifer Lawrence's part-she electrified the screen whenever she was on it. Was anyone else underwhelmed? I know the critics have heaped it with praise but my family and I were disappointed.

Week to Come:
Uninvited by Sophie Jordan, author of my beloved "Firelight" trilogy
Something Real by Heather Demetrios
Anyone But You by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes, third in their "Twisted Lit" series which I've enjoyed so much so far.

I have more titles potentially for review but we'll see just how much reading I can get done!

17 comments:

  1. TBH, the only reason I want to see the movie is because of Lawrence, so I'm happy her performance was enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was my main reason too but I thought I would like it a lot more overall so was very disappointed that wasn't the case.

      Delete
  2. I've got Uninvited on my TBR pile and I can't wait to read your thoughts on it.

    I did not finish watching Silver Linings Playbook. Maybe I will give it another chance someday but I don't always like the movies favored by critics. I plan to skip American Hustle...

    I hope you get caught up at work but I am glad you get some more time to read. My library is actually open tomorrow but we get a floating holiday out of it which is kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished my review of Uninvited-scheduled for Tuesday. Hoping we'll end up agreeing.

      I wonder if the main reason I liked SLB is because of the Eagles stuff-as a big fan, that can go a long way with me.

      Delete
  3. I have to see American Hustle! Sorry it wasn't as good as you were hoping. Enjoy your week, hopefully it won't be as crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it more if you do end up checking it out. I think it's way below Silver Linings Playbook but this Eagles girl might be biased.

      Delete
  4. I did hear that some of the performances in AH were great but the movie itself not so much.
    Can't wait to hear your take on Uninvited. I had seriously mixed feelings about it...
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard so much praise for AH-I wish I had entered with more moderate expectations.

      Delete
  5. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the movie. I'm not sure yet if I wish to see it :p And ohh. Hectic work and job! Sounds stressing. Hope you enjoy Uninvited :) Happy reading. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to see it partly because of all its Oscar nods but now I'm really hoping it doesn't win because I don't think it's that good.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, you weren't the only one who we've heard say that American Hustle is boring. We've quickly lost interest in the film as a result. The cast is incredible -- which is probably why it's getting so much buzz and so many accolades -- but that's not enough for us. We want a good STORY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you read this? I could have saved myself some time. The story was just...nothing and the performances, while great, couldn't overcome that for me.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a good week! I'm sorry that the movie wasn't that great, though. It looks good, but the only actor/actress in it that I really care for is JLaw. So we'll see. Hope that your next movie is better, LOL! Here's to a good week! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably better for you if you skip then as she isn't even in it that much (probably another reason for my disappointment.)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed Uninvited and hope you do too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Silver Linings Playbook but won't be seeing American Hustle, my son works at the cinemas and the feedback for American Hustle has been pretty much negative. Hope you get to read heaps on your day off :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...