Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross
HarlequinTeen, 2011
72 pages
YA; Steampunk
5/5 stars
Steampunk Chronicles #0.5

Source: Free Nookbook

I was so excited to see this prequel show up for free in Barnes & Noble's nookbook selection as I had already fallen for the gorgeous cover of The Girl in the Steel Corset.  My expectations were met and exceeded with a short story detailing some of the amazing powers of Finley Jayne as well as her investigative abilities.

Cross effectively tantalized me with the character of Finley as well as with the larger streampunk world.  It does not intrude except in the frightening person of Lord Vincent, fiance of Phoebe, whose mother hired Finley as a companion to protect against the suspicious Lord.  Gender issues are also introduced as Finley, Phoebe, and her mother are limited by Lord Vincent's desire for Phoebe's body and Phoebe's fathers debts.  The men make the decisions forcing Phoebe into an unwanted marriage but when it becomes too much, the women step up and take charge to effect a happy ending.

I enjoyed this and I think it would be worth a read for people who want to sample Cross's world without buying the full-length book as well as for people who loved the full-length book and can't wait for the second.

Check back later for my review of The Girl in the Steel Corset!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...