Monday, July 1, 2013

War and Peace Volume II, Part 5

Hosted by My Friend Amy

I really struggled with this section as I kind of left it to the last minute to read but I squeezed it in! I was pleased to discover that it was another section set during "peace" following the changing relationships such as Natasha's engagement to Prince Andrei. Unfortunately it's a pretty depressing section with Natasha breaking that engagement and attempting to elope with another (already married) man. Of course, she didn't know he was already married but a lot of other people did considering it was a secret marriage to a Polish woman who has now been abandoned.

The big point of interest for me was Pierre's interest in Natasha. I did read a full plot summary of the book before starting and I *think* they might end up together after more years have passed. I could totally be wrong but I hope I remembered correctly because I really like that relationship and I want good things for Natasha. At this point she's still pretty young and she needs to do some maturing.

Other than that, not really much happened as this section was only about 70 pages (in my translation, which is the Pevear and Volokhonsky version.) I was surprised by the shortness but also very thankful as I had a lot of other reading on my plate. Amy mentioned that the next section returns to "war" so I will need to make sure to leave lots of time for reading that-it takes me so much longer to read the battle scenes as I have trouble picturing what's going on.

(Note: I had originally planned to post my fave reads of 2013 so far later today but I ran out of time so that will be posted later this week, ideally tomorrow.)

8 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy the next section. Battle scenes are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I enjoy it too-I've struggled with some of the other sections and I feel a bit overwhelmed but I'm staying on track!

      Delete
  2. Glad you fit it in and enjoyed Natasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I fit it in too. I just wish there was one character with whom I completely connected and alas that just hasn't happened. If it hasn't happened by the midpoint, it's probably not going to happen at all, you know.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on even deciding to tackle this! It's definitely a book I want to read before I die, but it's so intimidating! It does sound interesting though. Hope you enjoy the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not so bad since we broke it down into manageable sections and the writing style isn't as bad as say Dickens' or James' long sentences. I just wish I felt more connection to the characters which I'm used to having in YA.

      Delete
  4. lol I agree about being happy it was a shorter section! I was like yaaaay. But I need to start the next section, ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start the next section too-I don't want to be frantically reading like this again!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...