Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Elegy

Elegy by Tara Hudson
4/5 stars
HarperTeen, 2013
386 pages
YA Paranormal Ghost

Source: Library

First book Hereafter absolutely enchanted me with its ghost girl/human boy romance. Sequel Arise was less enthralling as I felt like it took a while to heat up in New Orleans. Luckily this conclusion returns to Oklahoma, bringing together all the plot threads and resolving them for a satisfying conclusion.

I'm not going to go too in-depth about the plot to avoid spoilers but I really liked how Amelia and Joshua confronted the impracticalities and challenges of their romance. It did go on a bit much for my taste but it is the dominating fact of their relationship so it's understandable. Their romance is what kept me coming back to these books. I love Amelia's compassion and self-sacrificial personality and Joshua's relative normality considering his love for a ghost and his magical powers.

Other characters continue to play a role like Joshua's sister Jillian and their terrifying Gran while new ones are also added or have their roles expanded to provide more background around the evil that is coalescing. Joshua's parents seem rather oblivious though, which I think is a shame. I think if they'd had power they could have provided support and been an example of great YA parents instead of ones who are physically around but have no clue what their kids get up to when out of sight.

As for setting, I liked that we were back at home base in Oklahoma focusing in on High Bridge where Amelia first died and which has been a focus of dark activity for years. Finally all of the powerful good characters are coming together to take it down and end their reign of terror. I was a bit confused on some of the rules that govern ghost behaviors especially relating to some actions taken by Amelia; some things seemed to change on a dime to be convenient. I was never sure what she could and could not touch. The plotting is rather bonkers if you pay close attention (for example, one kid has easy access to a grenade which they decide would be the perfect tool to destroy the (haunted demonic) bridge.) Still it moves fast and flows smoothly as I always expect from a HarperTeen publication.

Overall: If you liked the first two books, you'll probably want to continue the series. I found it to be a fitting end.

Other Opinions:
Bookistry
Love Is Not a Triangle
Refracted Light Reviews


14 comments:

  1. Not a huge fan of buy (or girl) meets ghost because it just seems so futile. But I did enjoy Anna Dressed in Blood, so maybe one day I'll try this series!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can seem futile but this one was really quite sweet, to my mind.

      Delete
  2. Glad it was a good ending, and the impracticalities of the romance was worked through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know if it's my favorite third book ever but I thought it concluded well.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the first books but it sounds like a good series, especially if there's a satisfactory ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give them a try-the complete series is out so no waiting!

      Delete
  4. I've read book #1, didn't get around to reading #2. After reading this sounds like it may be worth while to read the series. Thanks for your spoiler free detailed review (hard to do with series books!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to write without spoilers but I'm trying really hard to do so if I can (I can always include a marked spoiler section if I really need to discuss something.)

      Delete
  5. I have read the first book in this series, but My library doesn't have the second one. Glad you enjoyed it, I think I will too. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks that your library doesn't have it; can you get it through Inter-Library Loan or something?

      Delete
  6. I'm glad this has a good ending. It's sitting on my shelf waiting for me to fit it in. I liked the first okay but really liked the 2nd much more. I'm hoping I love the third! Sometimes those 'just too convenient' things bother me, and sometimes I can overlook them, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're the opposite-I liked the first book more because of its Oklahoma setting.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your awesome honest review. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this :D I still have to read Elegy, but I'm so excited for it! I did love the first two books a whole lot. Excited about the romance, sigh. <3 but lol, about the grenade. Sounds a bit silly. Still. I'm sure the book is good, even so :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you liked the previous books, I bet you'll love this conclusion-it's so satisfying to see how everything gets wrapped up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...