Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle

The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle by Christopher Healy
4.5/5 stars
Walden Pond Press, 2013
477 pages
MG Fairy Tale Fantasy

Source: Library

This highly anticipated sequel to The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom is an absolute pleasure, proving a worthy successor, no second book syndrome here! Its many delights include the chatty humorous narration style, which matches exactly the first book's writing style, the familiar characters plus new charmers, and the way the plot thickens in preparation for book three.

As mentioned the humorous writing style continues. Here's an example of one of my favorite lines: "The element of surprise can offer a hero great advantage in battle. The element of oxygen--also important" (page 382). That's just one that really struck me so I wrote down the page number for reference. There's basically an average of one laugh a page as you go through this whole entire book.

Of course the characters are fab too! For me, the real standouts this time were Duncan and his wife Snow White; though neither will ever win an award for intelligence, they can be depended upon to provide a distraction like none other and are uncommonly sweet. I can't list the number of times I was cracking up because of something they said or did. The other standout was Briar Rose whose vile character I thought was self-evident. Well, not so much as this book complicates her motivations and deepens her character. And as I write this I realize that I have a third standout in the character of Troll who is just awesome and who fully enlivens the pages on which he appears. Okay, I totally could go on but seriously pretty much every character is great. Still I did struggle a bit to differentiate personalities and motivations of the princes Frederic and Duncan-their timidity tends to confuse me. But I think I almost have them straightened out.

So why didn't this get a perfect 5 stars? I feel like it's a little on the long side. Yes, I flew through the book but still an itsy bit on the long side. Additionally I wasn't that impressed with the villain(s). I liked getting to see their side and what was being plotted but I twiddled my thumbs a bit during those sections, waiting to return to the Princes Charming and co.

Other Opinions:
The Book Monsters
Buried in Books
Paranormal Indulgence

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it!! I'm really excited to read this book soonish and I'm glad that the funny continued in the sequel :) I adore Duncan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cute-hope you love it too and can't wait for your review!

      Delete
  2. I've heard great things about the first book and am so happy that the second was just as great!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are so cute! The element of oxygen is most necessary as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is yet it's something we don't necessarily spend that much time thinking about.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading this one just as soon as I knock out a few review books! I can't wait to read more about Duncan and Snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I liked them a lot in the first book but they just stole the show for me in this one.

      Delete
  5. Oh, great review sweetie :D So glad you loved this. <3 I still haven't gotten to read it, but I loved the first book and I'm really excited for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the first book, I bet you'll like this sequel too-it's very similar!

      Delete
  6. I really liked the first book and I'm looking forward to picking up the sequel. I enjoyed the humorous writing style and the characters. I agree that these books are a little long considering the target audience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just *a little* on the long side-loads of fun for the older reader who checks out MG/YA!

      Delete
  7. I really have to find this for my daughter, and the first one too. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a copy of this, so hearing such a good review makes me want to reach it even faster! (It's not a review copy, so I'm eating my Wheaties first.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job getting through those review books-this will be a good reward!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...