Friday, August 9, 2013

Goddess

Goddess by Josephine Angelini
3/5 stars
HarperTeen, 2013
421 pages
YA Paranormal Mythology

Source: Library

Though first book Starcrossed wasn't exactly a favorite, I was intrigued enough to pick up second book Dreamless where the dreamy Orion was introduced, his charisma far outshining the dull angry Lucas in my opinion though I sensed that Helen was too stupid to realize it. Thus I entered this third book with some trepidation because I could read the writing on the wall and didn't foresee the happiest of endings for my beloved Orion.

Though I try to remain spoiler-free but I'm not sure how successful I was. I talk around a lot of plot points but if you don't want any spoilers, you should probably steer clear.

I know Helen is technically the main character but I continually found her dull so we're going to start with Orion. More of his history is revealed and, man, is it tragic. If you think of Greek stories as containing tragedy, then he is a prime example. Yet he still retains a good heart and optimistic spirit despite how low life has brought him. To my mind, there was not nearly enough of him and that is probably a big reason for my disappointment with this conclusion.

But there were others, don't think I didn't have other reasons! Another reason was how long I struggled to get interested. From the moment I picked the book up, I felt disengaged. For all the stuff that should be going on, this book was quite boring. Around the middle there are some duels that perked me up but mostly I struggled with the new influx of information. For example, we get a lot more background on how our current heroes have the same faces as previous generations and I found that super confusing. Another annoyance was the flashbacks Helen experiences from previous incarnations that had the Face-gah did that bore me.  Also there are the changing alliances of all the characters, which was a little hard to track.

And even beyond Helen's poor taste in men, I still never really connected with her. By the end of the book, she has so many fantastical powers that any relationship I might have had with her was long erased by her departure from pretended mortality. The romance I don't like continues to be starcrossed and there is a lot of whining about that before the inevitable conclusion.

Overall: A very disappointing conclusion; I could have tolerated the shortchanging of my beloved Orion if I had found the writing as engaging as in the previous books but even that was missing in this go-around. Still if you've read the first two, you'll probably want to finish just to be able to say that you did.

Other Opinions:
Candace's Book Blog
Jen Ryland/YA Romantics
Supernatural Snark
Synchronized Reading
The Reader Bee

20 comments:

  1. I kind of hated the first book so I never picked up the sequel. The book was like a retelling of Twilight with Greek mythology.

    It is too bad that the better character was not the "hero" of the story in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised not to enjoy this more since I did like books one and two. The Twilight comparison is super apt-haha.

      Delete
  2. While I absolutely love mythology, I don't think this series is for me, especially with a disappointing ending and dull heroine. Thank goodness for Orion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought there was some cool stuff going on but had trouble with everything that didn't go the way i wanted to, especially re Orion.

      Delete
  3. Never read this series, though I don't really see myself doing so. Sorry the end was a bit of a let down. Never fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pretty popular but I think you're okay skipping it-certainly not a must-read.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, too bad about this ending. I own the first book but have yet to read it. The main character sounds pretty frustrating, but this Orion character sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of other people haven't really liked Helen but I feel like the only one with such an outsized reaction to Orion-I'm *special* like that!

      Delete
  5. Sorry this was on the disappointing side. I still need to read the second and this one. I'm not in a big hurry though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one had the excellent introduction to Orion so there's that but if the first book didn't make you a big fan, you might be better off just skipping the rest of the series now.

      Delete
  6. Hmmm…. I can guess one aspect of the ending that you didn't love. I agree with you, but I guess I saw it coming so came to terms with it. I agree that the other flashbacks were a little unnecessary. I can't remember exactly what I said in my review but there was a LOT going on rather than a wrapping up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I'm basically resigned to it. I just really adore Orion and want great things for him. There was so much going on and I feel like some of that would have been better in book 2? Or maybe flesh it all out more for a fourth book?

      Delete
  7. I really liked this series, but you are right about her having so many powers. I wasn't a fan of the whole "creating other worlds" thing. It felt way out of left field and not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seemed like too much-the MC should have some weaknesses and flaws and having crappy taste in guys is not sufficient IMO.

      Delete
  8. I agree that she had a bit 'too good to be true' amount of powers. I think this one was maybe a bit tougher because there's just so much to wrap your head around. I know I would have had an easier time if I'd read them closer together.

    I'm actually kind of surprised that I like this series so much cause honestly this type of romance usually doesn't work for me. But for some reason I enjoyed this series a lot. But yet... I totally get what you're saying too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how I would have felt reading them closer together. I worry that I made Orion out to be too great, hence my extreme feelings about him in this review :)

      Delete
  9. I kind of agree about Helen. She can be a tad bit dull lol I did find that the current heroes have the faces of old ones, but shouldn't we have know that in book one?! Great review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, should have been brought up in book one or at least book 2. Kind of useful information to know!

      Delete
  10. Aw. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book. I'm still not sure when I will read these books, if I ever will.. though I do own all three in hardcover, heh (A) but I'm worried, because of stupid love triangle. I'm SO sick of those. Sigh. Anyway. Thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you own all three, you should probably at least give them a chance to wow you. I don't know if I was even in the right mood to finish this trilogy but there were some really good parts in the first two books.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...