Monday, April 1, 2013

Everbound


Everbound by Brodi Ashton
4.5/5 stars
Balzer + Bray, 2013
358 pages
YA Paranormal
Sequel to Everneath

Source: Library

I really loved Everneath, a book I only picked up after being reassured that it did not contain the dreaded love triangle but did feature a unique twist on Greek mythology. I fell especially hard for the love story of Nikki and Jack despite the machinations of the scheming Cole and was so upset with that ending!

While I anticipated this sequel, I was also nervous because I read some really crummy second books in 2012. Happily I seem to have broken that streak with many excellent second books read in 2013 including this one. Like the first book, I found the writing style incredibly readable and I flew through the pages desperate to know what was going on.

Due to circumstances at the end of Everneath, there is not much Jack in this book. Ashton deals with this by filling the book with Nikki's memories of Jack: how they fell in love, how he showed his devotion, how he's been there for her, making me fall even more in love with the two of them. I really do ship them. But their path is not going to be easy as Cole is a trickster. Be warned-I wanted to throw my copy across the room at the end. It's not a cliffhanger per se but it will leave you craving the third book (would love for it to be titled Ever Yours).

Nikki is an incredibly devoted heroine, determined to let nothing get in her way as she embarks on her quest. There is also some new world building as we get to enter the Everneath. Although I didn't always quite understand Ashton's intentions with some of the writing, I still flipped frantically through the pages. Sorry for being sketchy on plot details-I don't want to spoil anything. Suffice it to say that this is another engaging book from Ashton that should satisfy fans. This is definitely a series to read in order so pick up Everneath before diving into Everbound.

Other Opinions:
Bloody Bookaholic
Jen Ryland/YA Romantics
Rhapsody in Books Weblog
Supernatural Snark
The YA Kitten

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be cute? I think it would be very fitting.

      Delete
  2. I like the title "Ever yours" too! Anywho, I'm really hesitant to read this one because of the second book syndrome. LOL. It sounds fantastic, though! And LOL, you used "ship". Is that tribute to a fabulous recent post? ;) Fantastic review, girly! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing and I'm so glad that it lived up to my expectations-hope the third book ends strong too!

      Delete
  3. Everbound totally blew me away! I thought it was much stronger than the first, though I liked that one too. Then again, I'm not a Jack fan particularly, so him being out of the picture worked for me. *ducks projectiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also, I just saw that the third book was updated to say Evertrue on GR. So I guess that's it?

      Delete
    2. I can see how this was better for you with Jack out of the picture. Do you like Cole or are the boys just a weak spot for you in general?

      Evertrue is not a bad name and I like that it's one word so it fits with the other titles. I just think Ever Yours would have been very fitting.

      Delete
    3. I do like Cole. I'm not convinced that I ship her with Cole, but I think he's much more interesting than Jack. Although maybe I will end up being more interested in this new, creepier Jack that's come back. We'll see.

      Delete
  4. YAY so happy Everbound doesn't suffer from 2nd book syndrome! Thanks for no spoilers, I loved Everneath and can't wait to read this one ... just a few more review books, then I'm on it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excited for you to check this one out-I thought it was just amazing!

      Delete
  5. OOH glad you liked it!! I read the first one on Netgalley and really enjoyed it; I just picked up a copy from the bargain section of Chapters, actually. So I will definitely be reading this one at some point. Maybe I'll wait until the 3rd book is out and do a series read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending for this one is killer so it might be a good idea to wait. It's not as cliffhanger-y as others I've read but it is making me long for book 3 now!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...