Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Truth Universally Acknowledged

A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen ed. Susannah Carson
Random House, 2009; 277 pages

Summary: Collections of essays by writers on why we read Jane Austen.

Why I Read This: "I am a Jane Austenite, and therefore slightly imbecile about Jane Austen."

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this. It definitely encourages me to reread Emma which I was already planning to do, having been inspired by the recent miniseries (which was meh but I'm always happy that people want to continue to read and reinterpret Austen so I don't mind too much; the main thing that stuck out to me was that there was a lot of Frank Churchill and I want to see if I get that feeling from the book too.) My favorite point was the delightful pleasure we get from rereading Austen. Any book that can be reread like that is something worth cherishing. My main complaint is repitition as in some essays repeat the same couple of quotes about or from her which got old fast.

Overall: 4/5 Good for people who love Austen's works

Question: What is your favorite Austen? And what did you think of the 2009 Emma miniseries, if you saw it? My answers are Pride and Prejudice and meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...