Saturday, March 6, 2010

Eyes Like Stars

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
Feiwel and Friends, 2009;
352 pages

Summary: Beatrice Shakespeare Smith lives in a theater with the characters of every play. It is the only life she knows but she is about to be kicked out if she can't contribute something invaluable. And can she figure out who her parents are?

Why I Read: I had seen it in my recommendations from amazon and I thought the summary looked interesting. I love theater although I am not a performer myself.

Thoughts: This was really weird. So some human little girl lives in a theater and can interact with all of these characters (and it's almost only Shakespeare characters mentioned but there are thousands of plays; is it only plays in English? How do all of these characters fit? Does she actually know EVERY single one of them? I know it's a magical theater and it's a fantasy world but I had trouble with these questions.) Then Bertie has interactions with Ariel (from The Tempest) which are just bizarre. SPOILER: She does eventually find her mother and I guess the sequel is where she goes to look for her father but I don't know if I want to read it (I may try to find spoilers that tell who her father is anyway).

Overall: 3/5 Very disappointing

Cover: While it is accurate (Bertie has blue hair and hangs out with tiny fairies although there should be 4), I don't really like it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who was underwhelmed by this book, all I've seen are glowing reviews, and it just didn't do it for me.

    Also, I thought she was really mean to Ariel, I wasn't a fan of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review! I've been wondering about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...