Friday, January 29, 2010

Mini-Reviews

I just wanted to write about a few of the books I read:

Nobody's Princess/Nobody's Prize by Esther Friesner: these are two stories about Helen of Troy when she is an adventurous teenager; they were mostly good and I recommend them if you like the Greek myths and strong heroines.

Polk by Walter Borneman: I really like Polk but I wasn't too familiar with him beyond his promotion of Manifest Destiny and a song about him (although this book debunks some of the things said in it). I really liked his pledge to serve only one term which was especially good as he died about three months after leaving office (he was quite sickly).

Liar by Justine Larbalestier: I read this book due to seeing the cover controversy but I really didn't like it. I was put off by the narrator. I mean fiction is lies so her bragging about lying to me isn't that impressive.

The Tuesday Club Murders/Five Little Pigs/The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie: I am so in love with her books and I actually fingered the murderer in Five Little Pigs (although there were only five suspects so it wasn't that hard.) I am planning to eventually read all of her books and I've made some good progress.

Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin: I went to amazon to see what people were saying about this book and was annoyed to discover that most of the one-star reviews were from whiny people complaining about how it was not available through kindle. So they hadn't read the book but they still felt compelled to lower its rating. I didn't really like the book due to my political inclinations which made me want more dirt on the Republicans who aren't really mentioned until almost 3/4 of the way through the book.

Love You, Hate You, Miss You by Elizabeth Scott: another great book from this author. I admit I prefer her more romantic work (Perfect You is one of my favorite books) but this was good too as the main character learns to deal with the fact that her best friend is now dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...