Monday, September 13, 2010

The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Harlequin Teen, 2010
363 pages
YA; Paranormal; Faeries
4/5 stars
The Iron Fey #1

Source: Bought

Summary: Meghan Chase lives on a farm on the outskirts of town; a boring ordinary existence.  But that's about to change as her younger brother is kidnapped and she sets off to faerie world to rescue him and learn the truth about her heritage.

Thoughts: I'm currently cursing myself for not writing up this review immediately after I finished because already I don't remember everything.

It reminded me of Labyrinth as there is a young girl who travels to another world (was it a faerie world in the movie?) in order to rescue her baby brother [I think I prefer Labyrinth.]  Meghan however travels because her brother was stolen and a changeling was left in his place.  And when she travels she meets her father, king of the faeries, and discovers that she is a valuable asset to the ever feuding faeries.

Unfortunately they're dying as humans believe less in magic and more in technology.  And there are also creatures made of iron who are threatening the faeries so there is plenty of conflict.  Meghan is rather stupid much of the time but I suppose it would be a very overwhelming experience to travel through faerie world when you're only sixteen.

Team: There are apparently teams for either Ash or Puck.  It's pretty obvious that Meghan prefers Ash but I don't know why.  I am Team Puck, her best friend who knows her inside and out and is also funny, although I know it is futile.  Ash is pretty much a jerk and I don't think he laughs very much.

Overall: Intriguing beginning to the Iron series with appealing descriptions. I want to read the other books.

Cover: This is a gorgeous cover! The colors are striking and there's a mix of flora and more metal looking decorations.

2 comments:

  1. This is very reminiscent of the Labyrinth, you're right, and since I loved that movie, I should enjoy this book, I think. I have it on my wishlist and NetGalley has them all! Very cool review, it definitely makes me want to read the book even more. I had no idea this book had teams too. It's a modern literary curse.;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book's outside of my comfort zone, but so many people seem to love it, that I feel like I need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...