Thursday, September 30, 2010

Everlasting

Everlasting by Angie Frazier
Scholastic Press, 2010
329 pages
YA; Historical
3.5/5 stars

Source: Bought

Summary: Camille is engaged to a fine upstanding man but all she wants is to be at sea with her father.  On what will be their last journey, secrets and a storm destroy everything Camille knows.  All that remains is Oscar, steady, dependable Oscar who is definitely not her fiance but who may just be the answer.

Some spoilers!

Thoughts: A much delayed review from the readathon which means it will be short as I can't remember much. I didn't think the historical setting (1855 San Francisco) was utilized enough except to highlight Camille's status as a bargaining chip to maintain her family's prosperity and to impose a certain set of expectations on her.

I appreciated that there was a strong father/daughter relationship because a lot of YA parents suck.  Although it turns out that her father has done some bad stuff too.

Then there is a "curse" unleashed by saying a name; this is the paranormal aspect that completely blindsided me.  It seemed unnecessary-why couldn't it have been just a normal treasure?  I definitely wanted less of that.

Oddly I preferred her fiance Randall to Oscar.  Oscar didn't seem to be that great of a guy although he was the one she had sparks with.  Randall seemed a nice enough guy, unless I'm forgetting that he had some deep dark secret.

Overall: Lovely historical fiction, marred by paranormal aspects.

Cover: I love the cover-probably one of my favorites from this year!  The colors, the font, the picture, I love it all!

1 comment:

  1. I am wary of historical fiction with paranormal/supernatural aspects, unless we're talking classical vampire novels or very good contemporary novels set in history and featuring the paranormal as a major, not a side aspect. This seems like a lovely read, though, something I would borrow from the library. And oh, what a gorgeous cover! To me also one of the most beautiful ones I've seen. Great review and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...