Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Translated Reg Keeland
Alfred A. Knopf, 2010
Originally published 2007
563 pages
Thriller; Mystery
Third book in Millennium Trilogy
4.5/5 stars

See my reviews of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire

Source: Bought

Summary: Lisbeth Salander is finally found and will be going on trial shortly.  Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist and her loyal friend, is out to clear her name and uncover a scandal that will rock Sweden's government.  These are the two main threads of Larsson's massive tome, the conclusion to the Millennium trilogy.

Thoughts: I was super excited to get this because I thought I would have to wait until it was in paperback.  But my mom started reading the books, she bought the third one.  My sister read it first (very slowly because she wanted to spite me!) and then I got it.  Like the previous books, it had a slowish start but picked up toward the end.  This time the end is centered around Lisbeth's trial, where she is being examined over multiple counts. I won't go too much in detail because I want you to read it for yourself.

There is also a good short summary of what the books are about: women who are abused and the men who enable that.  I was frequently brought up short by the awful things done by men toward women, specifically because the abusers were men and the victims were women and how the system which should have protected them looked the other way or actively worked to cover it up.

I actually thought this book had a lot less of the content I found distasteful in the first two books: the drinking, swearing, and sexual content all stood out much less.

Overall: A good conclusion to the Millennium trilogy.

Cover: I do like the silver a lot but the hornets freak me out.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, especially since it's so spoiler-free. I hope to start reading this trilogy soon, perhaps this winter. The cover is kind of freaky, but great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...