Sunday, September 12, 2010

Daddy's Delight

Daddy's Delight by Karia Bunting
Moody Publishers, 2010
223 pages
Inspirational; Non-fiction
3.5/5 stars

Source: Received a free ebook via Netgalley

Summary: Guidance on how to embrace God's design for you as a woman.  Includes insight into singlehood, married life, friendships, and ministry.

Thoughts: I requested this back in May so I can't remember what specifically about it attracted me.  I think the title is interesting because I only call my earthly father "daddy." But why wouldn't I?  He loves me far beyond what any human can.  I think I was held back by the fact that Father seems more respectful and I want to be respectful to the Lord.  I'm rethinking that position now but it still makes me feel a little rude to think of Him as my daddy.

On to the actual content: my favorite part of these kinds of books is always the personal content and I wish this had contained more.  She does provide several examples and they're well-balanced with scripture and analysis.  I just prefer more stories from real-life.

My favorite part was Bunting's rejection of women being blamed for sin.  Yes, Eve sinned in the garden by listening to the snake but Mary carried and gave birth to Jesus, our Savior thus wiping out that sin.  I also liked how she didn't just say women should be in the house but recognized the valuable contributions we can make to the economy and our family's finances.

Overall: Nothing new or groundbreaking but useful guidance and very readable.

Cover: It's always hard for me to evaluate netgalley covers because covers can look different online than in person but this one is okay.

2 comments:

  1. I like the review. The book sounds interesting. Women can't be blamed for sin, it's a very ridiculous statement and a false analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reviewing this book. I enjoyed writing it, and I hope that it proves helpful to you as you grow in Christ.

    I do agree with you that sometimes in our culture, we become too familiar with our Father. He is Elohim, the Great and mighty God who made heaven and earth. There is no on more powerful, or worthy of honor than Him.

    But the delightful thing about Him is that this great God invites us into intimate, personal relationship with Him. I love that you have this blog, and that you know Him so well that you want to share Him with other. Because your heart is after Him, He is using you in His service.

    Interestingly, the scripture teaches us that we can call God "Abba" This word has an Aramaic background, and is used both by Jesus of his Father (Mark 4:36), and by God's children (us) about our Father in heaven (Romans 8:5, Galatians 4:6). This word was simply the familiar term that a child used for the father in his/her home. Using this word for God sounded disrespectful to that culture, too, bucause this word was used in the everyday life of the family. In other words, Jesus, and we as believers, are able to use the "simple speech of a child to its father". (According to Chrys. Thdr., Thdrt., who were Syrians, little children used to call their fathers "Abba").

    I had a great earthly father. I respected him, and still do respect him, immensely. So did other people, he was a great man. But, I'll tell you, when I needed him for something (as little girls do), I didn't hesitate to call him "daddy". It was a reminder to me that I was his child, he loved me, and he would take care of me.

    I love you in His name, my sister. Please let me know if I can ever do anything for you. Thank you again for your blog. We are fully redeemed, accepted, and loved by our father, aren't we?

    I appreciate you.

    Please see my television broadcast "Focused Forward with Dr. Bunting" on Direct TV channel 378, Sky Angel 126, or www.nrbnetwork.tv every Thursday morning at 10:30 a.m., or visit my blog at www.DrKaria.com.

    God bless you, my friend. Have a wonderful day.

    Dr. Karia Bunting

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...