Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Scholastic, 1978
123 pages
Science Fiction; Classic
FITG Challenge

Summary: The classic story of a man who builds a time machine and travels into a horrifying future.

Why I Read: It was assigned for class but it also overlapped with a personal challenge.

My Thoughts: I didn't really know what to expect but the future that this man goes into is like a capitalist nightmare. The leisured class have degenerated into frolickers while the workers have become blind mole people who feast on them. It was weird. Then he goes even further into the future where pretty much everything is dead. It is certainly not the kind of future I would want to imagine and put down on paper although I am also not a brilliant writer and I'm not aspiring to that.

Overall: 4 out of 5. It's an important book; part of the founding of the genre of science fiction and very interesting in its forecasting of the future but it's not really my type of book. It is however blessedly short (and my copy had largeish font so it's actually even shorter.)

I do kind of want to see the 2002 film with Guy Pearce which is apparently quite altered but also features the very hot Guy Pearce. Has anybody seen it?

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this book on a reading list I was looking at. I hadn't really thought about reading before, but now I'm thinking about putting it on my TBR list.

    I did actually see the 2002 film once. I'm not sure how it compares to the book, since I haven't read it. The movie is pretty entertaining. I think it was at least worth watching.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...