Monday, April 19, 2010

The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren

The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren by Wendy Toliver
Simon Pulse, 2007
280 pages
YA; Contemporary

Summary: Roxy is a band geek with a crush on a football player. On her sixteenth birthday, she is transformed in to a siren, with males willing to fulfill her every whim. She has only two rules: 1. She can't tell anyone she is a siren; 2. She cannot fall in love. But is that the life she wants?

Thoughts: This is quite different from the other Simon Pulse books because it has a fantasy element-I don't remember that in any others. I mostly liked Roxy although I could see problems coming up because of the siren thing as well as many of the other things that would pop up so it is quite predictable. The second part moves away from the summary on the back as Roxy has to grapple more seriously with the two rules. I personally have serious moral qualms about using the powers of the siren (she forces her brother to do her chores for her; she gets her dad to let her use a very expensive Porsche; she gets untold free things; and she cheats to get her driver's license) but I still liked Roxy despite her serious lacking in moral scruples because she does make mostly good decisions.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5. Average.

Cover: I love the dress and I like that the green eyes are like that described.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...