Sunday, April 4, 2010

Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Dlilithium Press, 1988
Originally 1908
240 pages
Children's; Classic

Summary: Matthew and Marilla decide to adopt a boy but instead they get a voluble little girl named Anne. This book follows Anne from youth to adulthood, with her various scrapes and triumphs.

Why I Read: This is a classic and I felt bad that I had never read it so when I was browsing for books in the library, I decided to see if they had it and they did!

My Thoughts: I fell in love with Anne-what a fun child! I totally would want to be Diana and get to hang out with her (I'm not talkative enough to be Anne!) One problem was I could usually only read a few chapters at a time because Anne overwhelmed me. But just what a good book! I cried several times but I laughed so much more. I'm so in love with Gilbert although I know have to read the rest of the books for that to further develop (at the end they're just friends).

One question: did I read this right in that Anne is going to be a teacher at 16? That's crazy-I don't think any of my friends could be teachers yet and we're three-five years older! How things were different!

Overall: 5 out of 5. One of my top picks for what I read in March and something I've already recommended to some of my friends and will continue to do.

Cover: The picture is actually the back cover because Gilbert looks hot! And Anne's hair is very pretty.

Recommended: to everyone! But especially people who like the Betsy books by Maud Hart Lovelace; I feel like they're somewhat similar only this is set in Canada.

2 comments:

  1. Gilbert is so swoon worthy!

    Glad to see you loved this book :-)

    Also, back then I don't think they went to school as long as we do now, so it may have been completely normal to be a teacher so young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so inlove with Gilbert. I really love this book, although honestly I think that I love the movie just a teeny bit better.

    I reviewed it when I first started blogging
    http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/2009/07/anne-of-green-gables-by-lm-montgomery.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...