Friday, April 2, 2010

Boys, Girls, and Other Hazardous Materials

Boys, Girls, and Other Hazardous Materials
By Rosalind Wiseman
G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2010
279 pages
YA; Contemporary

Summary: Charlie had an awful time in middle school so she is determined to have a drama-free high school. She makes friends at her new school, including meeting up again with the newly hot Will. But a hazing situation tests her loyalties to him, to the school, and to what's right.

Why I Read This: I had seen this book around and saw that it was available in my library system so I requested it.

My Thoughts: I guess I would classify this more as young YA because the main character is 14 and just seems really young. The topic is important (mean girls-Sugarland song!; hazing; peer pressure) but it didn't really work as a fiction book for me. I should have written this earlier because I don't remember that much from it. Overall lackluster for me. Luckily I was not highly anticipating it or I would have been very disappointed.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5. At times I was intensely aware that the author of this book had written nonfiction books dealing with similar topics.

Cover/Blurb: I think the cover is really cute and pretty appropriate. I wanted to mention the blurbs because Tina Fey (who adopted one of Wiseman's books into Mean Girls, which I totally want to watch again now!) and Meg Cabot (YA goddess) wrote the two on the back. I don't think it's as funny as they made it out to be but what recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...