Tuesday, December 31, 2013

War and Peace: the Conclusion


I am so thrilled to be linking up to this carnival, celebrating the fact that I read this monster book! Unfortunately I don't feel like I have much to say. I was pleased to peek in at these characters some years after Napoleon has been defeated and to not struggle through any of the dull war scenes. Good things seem to have happened to our two main couples and since I liked them, I was able to enjoy that. However I still don't have that emotional connection to anyone that I feel when I read my favorite books. The onslaught of people and plot was just too much. I think back to the very first posts I read for War and Peace and the mention of just letting every bit wash over me instead of stressing over getting all the character names and relationships. I think that is a very helpful conception and I would encourage any other potential readers to consider the book in that light. Saying that, I did mostly get the character names and everything by the end just because they were repeated enough.

And then there's the second epilogue, which had its interesting moments especially to me who studied history in college but was overall way too much from Tolstoy about his opinions regarding history and the way it is studied and written about during his era. He argues against the idea that great men made things happen, which is not really part of mainstream historical study anymore so his rant against it felt very old-fashioned to me.

Would I recommend this? I am mixed on that. On the one hand, I feel so satisfied to have completed this and really proud of myself for sticking with it for this whole year. On the other hand, I didn't think it was that great. I can think of so many more classics I've read and liked more, possibly because they more closely hew to the format of a traditional novel (one of the reasons I want to give Anna Karenina another try and hopefully finish in 2014.)

6 comments:

  1. Yay -- congrats for making it to the end. You are my hero :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha-thanks :) I still am in a bit of shock that I did it. I now plan to give Anna Karenina another try-I think it will be more pleasing as it is more of a novel in Tolstoy's eyes.

      Delete
  2. On the other hand, I didn't think it was that great

    lol I agree. It is a great sense of accomplishment, but it's not like it was an actual great read?

    Anyway thanks so much for posting every month and reading along! congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun doing this-thank you for organizing it. I'm definitely interested in doing another readathon with you though maybe a slightly shorter book next time?

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm here by way of the readalong! I agree that I don't really get the enduring love for this novel, but I hope it doesn't dissuade you from reading Anna Karenina which I think is much better! (Although it also doesn't really adhere to the traditional format of a novel since it was published the same way. But there's definitely less historical lecturing in that one, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do want to read AK-it's just carving out time to read it in more of a block than W&P. My understanding is that it's more of a novel so I'll get to care about the characters and feel all the feels for them!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...