Friday, December 13, 2013

Smarter Than You Think

by Clive Thompson
4/5 stars
The Penguin Press, 2013
288 pages
Non-Fiction, Technology

Source: Library

Though my heart lies in YA fiction, I am interested in a wide variety of other topics including this book I've seen buzz about that examines how technology is impacting us. I have certainly read articles warning about dire outcomes from technology and I've witnessed what I consider sad consequences (for example at a restaurant I've seen parents thoroughly engrossed in their phones while their children beg for attention). This book however takes a more optimistic view about how we can and do use technology in extremely beneficial ways.

For example using newer platforms online like change.org has allowed people to find similar-minded people and organize at a scale not seen before.  Twitter allows for quick spreading of news. If I hear about an earthquake for example, I always turn to Twitter to find out more quickly and turn to traditional news once there has been time for more thorough information to be gathered. These technologies work best when they have a single clear purpose and desired outcome. Broadening it too much tends to muddy its effect. He also takes about utilizing a computer's strengths (memory and brute-force processing of data) to complement a human's mind and discretion.

Two of the most striking points for me involved historical examples. He shared about Ernest Duchesne who performed research on penicillin but was unable to get his work published and died without his findings shared with the world. Thirty-two years later Alexander Fleming shared penicillin. Think of how many lives could have been saved if Duchesne had had a platform to share his work outside of the formalized channels that rejected him or if he had found colleagues to disseminate his information.

The other point that struck me relates to our tendency to romanticize the past. For example Thompson writes about how we idealize the great letter-writing culture of the past. He says that the average was still only 5.15 letters per year at that time. So not a lot. In comparison, online has greatly sparked our writing including especially us bloggers :) And it has allowed us to connect with so many more people than we would have in the past. I really enjoyed reading about how much more writing we're producing and was struck by two examples he shared of bloggers whose years of posts added up to 2+ books. It made me wonder how long my blog would be in book format...

Overall: A very interesting and accessible work of non-fiction with some great endnotes and index.

5 comments:

  1. First, happy birthday :)

    Love the sound of this book! Not all change is good, but I can't even imagine what the world would be like without progress and innovation. I'm usually excited by change -- I think things like texting and email actually improve communication -- at least the speed and immediacy of it. Waiting for days and days for a letter to arrive isn't actually that fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to be one that romanticizes the past a little too much, even if I do enjoy technology. :) (I recently deactivated Facebook, and no smart phone for me, but I DO love the blogging world!) This looks like a great read to balance out the whole negative outlook on technology! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really interesting book! I hadn't heard of that story about penicillin before but it could have made such a difference if information was more easily shared like it is today.

    Twitter, smartphones, and the Internet have certainly changed the way we live. As a librarian my profession is concerned with the dissemination of information as well as how it is organized. I've heard of libraries answering reference questions on Facebook and Twitter for example and a lot of times my first step when someone requests information is to consult the Internet :)

    I can see the downside however with the way people become too attached to their tech. It is one of my pet peeves when people are on their phones at social gatherings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...