Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Razorbill, 2010
343 pages
YA
3.5/5 stars

Source: Library

I saw quite a bit of buzz around this book, which was from a 2010 YA Debut Author but I didn't have a chance to read it until now.  It may be a better Halloween than summer read but there was still some good stuff.

Namely the character Mackie Doyle, a sweet and brave boy living in Gentry as the replacement son for a family whose real son was taken by the dark creatures who keep the town prosperous.  As he struggled with who he was and with the nature of his town, I was firmly committed to him and his mission.  His sister Emma knew that he was a replacement but has always striven to protect and love him with all that she is.  She plays a small but crucial role in his mission.

Less good was the character Tate.  Tate's younger sister was taken and unlike the rest of the town, Tate will not turn a blind eye and dares to ask questions with unpleasant answers.  She wasn't a bad character per se but I didn't feel much of a connection with her and her relationship with Mackie was so rushed.

My other problem was how long it took me to understand the story.  There are many oblique references to what is not right within the town but they kept me at a distance until about the second part of the novel.  I wanted to fall in love right away but it took too long for me to rate this book higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...