Monday, July 18, 2011

Dark Goddess

Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda
Hyperion, 2010
376 pages
YA; Paranormal
3.5/5 stars

Source: Library

So I read but didn't properly review the first book starring Bilqis SanGreal, Devil's Kiss, for the YA Blogger Book Battle where it lost its bracket because I did not feel connected to Billi and her world.  I thought there was immense potential within the characters though and I thought the action was kick-butt so when I saw the sequel staring me in the face at the library, I took the hint and checked it out.  And I did enjoy this one more.

This time Billi and the Templars are facing the threat of Russian werewolves who are planning to abduct a Spring Child to feed Baba Yaga who will then unleash a Fimbulwinter, killing all of mankind and starting over.  The stakes are high, the action is fast-paced, and there are more enemies than you can imagine.

Some of my dislikes from the first book were fixed.  Instead of Billi continually wondering (and whining) about her future, she is pretty much set on the path of being a Templar and probably eventually a martyr to the cause.  Instead of becoming involved with the bad guy, she flirts with a much more suitable guy although their romance doesn't go very far.  And the action is seriously amazing-if you like action books, then I would definitely recommend this series.

But something stopped me from loving this book.  Although I admire Billi and her capabilities, I don't feel connected to her nor to any of the characters really.  She seems pretty much the same throughout instead of growing and changing because of the conflicts.  And while she at least likes a suitable guy this time, their romance isn't much discussed or developed.

Overall: Super amazing action but the character development suffers for it.

Read for British Books Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I kind of liked the first book more in some ways because there seemed to be more emotional depth to it. I do think these are more action books (the equivalent of watching Van Helsing compared to The Lord of the Rings which has both action and emotional depth/growth in its characters). Even though I plan to read the third book, I have a feeling it would be more of the same. Still I like the series and its heroine compared to other paranormal books that are so similar to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have seen this book around but had no idea it was YA. Thanks for the review!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...