Saturday, January 8, 2011

Nothing But Ghosts

Nothing But Ghosts by Beth Kephart
HarperTeen, 2009
278 pages
YA; Contemporary
4/5 stars

Source: I had seen several titles by Kephart around the blogosphere so recently I decided to see what titles my library had.  They had four and after reading the summaries of each, I decided that this one sounded the most interesting and so I checked it out.

Review: I was intrigued by this book because of the mention of a mystery.  I love mysteries and love trying to puzzle them out even though I usually can't.  The main mystery in this book is about a reclusive lady known as Miss Martine who has been shut up in her house for fifty years for no reason anyone knows.  But another mystery is about disappearing.  Miss Martine of course is well hidden but Katie's mom died leaving behind a grieving husband and daughter and other sections link too.

I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters.  Katie is the main character, a young girl working in Miss Martine's garden for the summer who becomes intrigued by the mystery and is still missing her mother desperately.  She seemed okay but maybe because both of my parents are still living, I had trouble identifying with her.  Then there was her father, an art restorer and amateur chef par excellence who was interesting to read about but sometimes seemed to disappear too.  I think my favorite character was Ms. McDermott, a glamorous librarian who wears the most beautiful clothes and has a broken heart.  She sounded cool but didn't make the biggest impression.

Overall: Quick, quiet, lyrical read but not a favorite.

Cover: I guess the coloring links to ghosts but I don't really like it (that's why I chose based on plot summary, not cover).  I do love the font for "Ghosts" though-I love curlicues!

1 comment:

  1. There is just something I really love about mysteries that involve a solitary old woman locked up in her house and everyone is left to wonder what happened to her. If I see this book anywhere, I will read it. I really am a sucker for such mysteries.:) I'm sorry you couldn't connect to the characters. It happens and we can't helpt it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...