Thursday, January 6, 2011

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford
Scholastic Press, 2010
313 pages
YA; Contemporary
4/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: When Grandmother Sullivan announces that the rest of her family is cut out of her will, everyone knows it's due to the transgressions of one of the three sisters.  Norrie, Jane, and Sassy have all pushed their grandmother hard in the past few weeks.  If they want to inherit a tremendous amount of money, they have to submit a confession.

Thoughts: I have really been reading a lot of alternating perspective stories lately.  This one has each sister telling her story one by one in quick moving chapters.  Each has a distinct voice and wrestles with different concerns.  Some incidents are recounted in each section but each girl interprets them differently and they play different roles in their narratives.

Norrie's transgression is falling for an older man (she's 17 to his 25 grad school self) and running off to New York with him for three days instead of being a debutante. Jane wrote a blog revealing family secrets to the world in the most negative light possible. Sassy thinks she's indestructible and that she's killed her grandmother's husband.  My favorite was Jane's because she's so caustic.  I also liked Sassy's relationship with a girl she's trying to tutor in math.  My least favorite was Norrie because that is a huge age difference and I was left with the impression that she thought he was her true love, which made me uncomfortable.

This is a very easy read with some cute lingo and interesting characters but really nothing more than that.

Overall: Emphasis on family makes for a sweet read. I would recommend this book to people who like YA contemporary but don't always want a romance.

Cover: Three sisters in front of a mansion? Very appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. Stories with sisters are great. I prefer two sisters, but all three seem to be great characters in this story, so I don't mind that. Sounds like a sweet and fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about this elsewhere as well. Sounds a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...