Sunday, August 8, 2010

Count of Monte Cristo (Film)

The Count of Monte Cristo, 2002
Starring Jim Caviezel as Edmond Dantes; Guy Pearce as Fernand Mondego; and Richard Harris as Abbe Farias
4/5 stars

Summary: Based on the classic revenge tale by Alexandre Dumas, peres, this film adapts and changes the story to create a new story loosely using the characters from the book.

Thoughts: I just read this last year when I was studying abroad. It was slow while he was imprisoned but once he got out and started wreaking havoc on those who had wronged him, it sped by.

They changed a lot for this film, like the ending for one. It was enjoyable (I have a bit of a crush on Guy Pearce) but that change was especially bewildering. I realize they can't fit the whole 1300 page novel in to a two-hour film; heck they couldn't fit the 600 page abridged version I read in to a two-hour film. But they didn't have to make all the changes that they did. Of course I did like this ending, being that it is the more traditional happily ever after unlike the book but it differs from the author's intention.

Overall: Feel free to watch this but also read the book!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this movie twice and I really liked it. I have to confess, though, that I haven't read the novel yet. I would like to, but the abridged version with 600 pages. 1300 pages seems a bit daunting.;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...