Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wish

Wish by Alexandra Bullen
Point, 2010
323 pages
YA; Contemporary; Fantastical elements

Source: The library

Summary: Olivia has just moved to San Francisco with her parents but without her twin sister Violet who died the previous summer. She receives a magical dress and wishes for her sister to return. While Violet is visible only to Olivia, her effect is visible throughout Olivia's life.

Thoughts: I think I'm decidedly on the fence for this book; I read it fairly quickly and I felt like I was enjoying it but I just finished it and I have basically nothing to say. Olivia is not an exciting character as she depended on her sister Violet for vibrancy. Her crush, Soren, has a stupid name and wasn't interesting. The concept was okay but I prefer either full realism or full fantasy instead of this mix.

I like the names Olivia and Violet for twins-I like that it has the same "o-l-i" in different orders.

Overall: 3.5/5.

Cover: I love the cover and I think the stars are beautiful and relevant to the story.


Pedantic Thought: The back cover asks "If you could have everything, what would you wish for?" I thought that sentences were not supposed to end with prepositions at. (That's a 30 Rock reference); I just feel like a book should follow those rules of grammar.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love your review. It shows the book annoyed you in the end.;)

    P.S. I think in every-day English everyone pretty much ends sentences with prepositions, and authors project that into their books. Can't be helped. I'm surprised the editors don't correct that, really.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...