Friday, June 11, 2010

Recommendations #2

Yesterday I posted a review of A Curse Dark as Gold, a retelling of the fairy tale Rumpelstiltskin. I mentioned that I generally love those kinds of stories and while I have read a lot, I have not read them all. So I am asking you, knowledgeable book public, for your favorite fairy tale retellings. My favorite is those which reinterpret Cinderella but I am open to all. Also is anyone familiar with the Grimm story of "The Three Spinners"? I've always liked that story but it doesn't seem to be very well known.

Some of the ones I've read are:
-Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series including my favorite Cinderella retelling Phoenix and Ashes
-Robin McKinley's Spindle's End and Deerskin
-Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted
-Margaret Peterson Haddix's Just Ella
-Robin Palmer's Cindy Ella
-Jessica Day George's Princess at the Midnight Ball
-Once Upon a Time series spearheaded by Cameron Dokey
-Vivian Vande Velde's The Rumpelstiltskin Problem

What are your favorite stories involving fairy tales? Please leave recommendations in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I like retellings of Beauty and the Beast, Cinderela and Snow White. Here are some of my recommendations:
    "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine (Cinderella)
    "The Glass Slipper" by Eleanor Farjeon (Cinderella)
    "The Fire Rose" by Mercedes Lackey (Beaty and the Beast)
    "The Serpent's Shadow" by Mercedes Lackey (Snow White)
    "Beauty" and "Rose Daughter" by Robin McKinley (Beauty and the Beast)

    In general, Robin McKinley and Mercedes Lackey write great fairy-tale fiction and re-tellings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't heard of some of these and I'll definitely put them on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice mention of CURSE! Two of my very favorite recent retellings are Juliet Marillier's HEART'S BLOOD, which is a wonderful take on "Beauty and the Beast," and Heather Tomlinson's TOADS AND DIAMONDS, which sets the Grimm story in a fantasy world inspired by India. They both made my Best of 2010 list. :)
    ~ecb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...