Saturday, June 25, 2011

Royal Blood

Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen
Berkley Prime Crime, 2010
305 pages
Mystery; Historical
3/5 stars

Source: Library

I was all set for the delightful further detective adventures of Lady Georgiana as she embarks on a trip to Romania (more specifically Transylvania) as a representative of the royal family for a wedding of an old school friend.  There are appearances by her brother and sister-in-law, her best friend Belinda, her mother, her love interest Darcy, and her would-be husband Siegfried.  But this book just did not do it for me.

First Georgie's imagination absolutely runs away with her, provoking her to imagine vampires, werewolves, and other creatures.  And not just once but multiple times.  I was so annoyed by those lunacies and normally I really love Georgie but I did not during those parts.

Second the mystery occurs at a snowed-in palace which is fabulous because I love when all of the suspects are gathered in one place.  However it took what felt like a long time until the mystery unfolded and I felt that there was not sufficient time to properly identify the murderer, which felt like a cheat to me.  I enjoy being confounded but I want it to be fair.  SPOILER: You can probably guess what he looks like but not his actual name or his motive END SPOILER.

Overall: A disappointing outing with Georgie but I hope the next, Naughty in Nice, will be better.

Read for Cozy Mystery Challenge and British Book Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this series, so I will have to check it out, but I find the idea of a woman imagining all sort of supernatural creatures just because she is travelling through Romania pretty hilarious and fun(ny).:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series but I enjoy cozy mysteries. It is difficult when a book is disappointing but at least with a series, there is hope in the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...