Tuesday, June 14, 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
HarperCollins, 2005
217 pages
YA; Contemporary
4/5 stars

Source: Free NookBook

Read for YA Overlooked Book Battle.

I was so disconcerted that this book was written in third person instead of first.  Every time it referred to Ginny instead of her referring to herself made me mentally rewind.  I just felt like it was a book that would have worked as first person.  Not that I didn't like it in third.

The plot is that Ginny's aunt died and after her death, Ginny received a bundle of 13 envelopes sending her off on a trip around Europe.  I have to agree with the boy Ginny meets, named Keith, who correctly observes that her aunt is flaky and kind of nuts to have come up with this plan for Ginny.  Her adventures were interesting but I was worried about her safety and her mental health in still dealing with the loss of her aunt.

Once I ignored that quibble though, I loved Ginny's adventures.  She traveled all over western Europe, seeing many places that I hope to see some day.  The descriptions were great and there was a lot of hilarity.  Ginny meets some many different people and they all teach her something valuable about life even if she doesn't realize it at the time.  I can also see how the sequel will start, based on the ending to this book.  Hopefully I can read that soon.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be quite an adventurous YA book, in that Ginny gets to travel and discover great places. I like this idea, although I agree that it may be a bit crazy for Ginny to travel all by herself and right after her aunt's death.

    I actually love the 3rd person narrative best.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...