Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Water Wars

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher
Sourcebooks, 2011
240 pages
YA; Dystopian; Adventure
2.5/5 stars

Source: Library

I wanted to read this because of the terrifying world it presents; in a not-too-distant future, most of the fresh water in the world has dried up and the rest of it is under the control of a greedy corporation.  I say not too distant because the main characters' parents remember a world that sounds much like ours but in only a few decades, the landscape has radically changed.  Wars are perpetually occurring as the battle for water rages.  I thought the background for this story was fascinating.

However that was not the main focus.  Instead it is Vera and Will, siblings, who meet a boy named Kai.  Kai, it seems, can find water making him a valuable asset to whoever can maintain control of him and putting his freedom at risk.  When he and his father are taken one day, Vera and Will set off after him leading to an action-packed, thrilling adventure.  Or what should have been-I had to force myself through the book because I wanted to count it for the DAC and because it's pretty short.  There were some interesting characters who befriend Vera (pirate Ulysses and rebel Sula) and their struggles to rescue Kai should have been interesting.  But because I didn't feel connected to Vera or Will, I cared less.

Overall: Enticing plot but weak characters.

Read for YA Debut Author Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I did have high hopes for this one, but now I'm not so sure. I need my characters strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I've been seeing a lot of lackluster reviews for this one. Too bad you couldn't connect with the characters. That's always so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...