Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shine

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready
4/5 stars
Simon Pulse, 2012
401 pages
YA Paranormal
Book #3

Source: Bought

After enjoying Shade and loving Shift, Shine moved to the top of my want to read list of 2012 so I was so happy when my copy finally arrived in the mail. I was pretty good about avoiding spoilers so that I could read this with little expectation beyond what Smith-Ready had promised throughout the earlier books. This review is more aimed at those who have already read the first two books and avoids spoilers for this book.

I was pretty happy to dive into this book and with the developments about the shift. We get answers to the questions we had about why Aura can see ghosts, why Zachary can repel them, about the powerful corporate and government interests and the lengths they will go, about the ancient Irish history, etc. Yay for answers from YA paranormal!

I appreciated that there was no more triangle. Logan passed on at the end of Shift and he does not return in this book. Although he will always have a little part of Aura's heart for the history they shared, his part is done and she can move forward to building a new life with Zachary, who goes through some hell in this book. While Zach and Aura move to new levels of trust with each other,  there is conflict from a dark situation experienced by him. Honestly I was a little frightened by him in some scenes but how could that not wreak havoc on a person?

But for whatever reason, this book didn't blow me away with awesome the way that the previous book Shift had. I don't know if it's because I had my expectations too high or if it's because I'm in a bit of a reading/reviewing funk. This was still a very enjoyable reading experience, well-written and fast paced (I flew through the book). There is character development for our leads and we get at least a glimpse of every character we've cared about from the previous books.

Content Warnings: Language and sexual situations-I feel like this series is definitely for the older end of YA.

Cover Rant: While I find the yellow more understandable now (in the context of what occurs in the books), I am seriously upset that the covers of my books no longer match. I actually bought this series as the books came out, expecting no changes and then there was. I also hate when the cover model is staring out at us-creeps me out!

5 comments:

  1. I didn't read your whole review because I've only read the first one so far. I need to really get on it though because I love Jeri's books in general. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this nearly as much, but I'm excited to read the trilogy as a whole.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying so hard not to read reviews for this book because I don't want to spoil it, but I'm always happy to read your spoiler-free and totally teasing one! x) I'm going to miss Logan like crazy (He grew so much over the course of the first two books! <3), but I'm really happy to know that Jeri gives us more time to spend with Zachary and Aura, even if Zachary is going through some tough things. (I'm just happy to know he's alive after reading the horrifying first chapter LOL!)

    You and your amazing reviews, B -- you're always making me so excited! :') <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Shade but for some reason I never picked up the sequel. Perhaps because I was sick of love triangles. I am glad to hear that Logan passed on at the end of the second book. I might have to give the rest of the series a try now because I found the first book to be really interesting and moving. I agree with you about the cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really curious to read this one - I really enjoyed Shade but Shift didn't blow me away like it did everyone else so I'm curious to see what I will think of the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another series that's been on my TBR list since the beginning and I just haven't got to. I'm glad the series is pulling through for you!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...