Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
The Dial Press, 2012
433 pages
Fiction
4.5/5 stars

Source: Received an ARC through Amazon Vine.

I know Kinsella is best known for her Shopaholic series but I never really clicked with them; however I love her standalones like Can You Keep a Secret? and Remember Me? so I had high expectations for this. They were met as I was immediately sucked in to Poppy Wyatt's world.

The book starts in the middle of a crisis as Poppy has lost her engagement ring shortly before she is about to meet up with her judgy in-laws and mere days before the wedding. Then her cell is snatched, leaving her no way to be contacted by the hotel where the ring was lost. Coincidentally she finds a phone discarded in the trash and starts using that, putting her in touch with Sam, the boss of the lady who threw away the phone.

It's kind of a crazy premise-would she really be allowed to keep that company phone that has confidential information on it? But Poppy is so likable that I just went with it. Over the course of a few days, she becomes very involved in Sam's life, even interfering at times, sometimes beneficially, sometimes harmfully but always charmingly to this reader. Of course, it soon becomes obvious that Poppy's fiance is not as good a match as Sam even as they both try to fight their feelings.

There is actually a lot packed in to this story: family and friendship issues, Poppy's insecurities and inability to stand up for herself, corporate espionage, love and marriage. And it was all delivered in what I consider the signature Kinsella style and tone-light and breezy but not afraid of getting a little dark (seriously just a pinch of darkness to balance out the lightness).

I did think the book as a whole was a smidgen too long and I'm not a fan of the cursing although I completely respect the author's right to use whatever language she wants.

Overall: A fast, funny read that is sure to charm fans of Kinsella.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too and I think it is a good balance between her Kinsella books and her Madeleine Wickham books. I think it is true that when you read a Sophie Kinsella book you just kind of have to suspend your disbelief sometimes but the books are so much fun. Poppy is definitely a likeable character and she is not annoying the way Becky Bloomwood can be (though I do love the Shopaholic books too). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie Kinsella! Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE her books! <3 Before I discovered an entire sections devoted to YAs like me, I used to find her books everywhere and I loved every single one I read! Hearing that you loved it makes me THAT much more excited to pick this one up! :)

    Amazing review, B! Lots of cursing or not, I think I'm going to love this book too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all Sophia's books,I like this one,was just confused as to why theyre are notes at the end of every chapter,it is very confusing,wish I knew if it was in the book version of this,it is very annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...